For those of us who love dessert for breakfast!
Serve this Chocolate & Cherry Oats breakfast to your family or friends and you are going to get asked one of two questions:
Question 1 – Is this chocolate & cherry oats really breakfast and not a dessert?
When you tell them it is indeed a breakfast, the next question will be…
Question 2 – are you sure this is healthy? It can’t be; it tastes too good to be healthy?
Then you can answer and say the following –
- The raw cacao is rich in minerals, with magnesium being most notable for relaxation and helping with sore muscles. You can read all about magnesium here.
- Chocolate (or raw cacao) also contains theobromine which is the compound that naturally makes us feel happier.
- Cherries hold their own nutritionally with Vitamins A, C and K and
- Oats are a well-established ingredient in heart-healthy eating plans. Oats are also rich in minerals, B vitamins, antioxidants and the all-important fibre (beta-glucan), which has been shown to lower and protect against LDL cholesterol.
So, yes, it is super healthy, and there’s another bonus – very easy to make. It’s also very versatile, so you can make it your own.
Let me know if you enjoyed it as much as we do.
Chocolate & Cherry Oats
- 1 small pot
- 1 measuring cups and spoons
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3 tsp raw cacao
- 1 1/2 cup milk plant or animal based
- 1/2 banana mashed
Optional Extras (see notes)
- 40 g cherries halved and pitted, then dice half
- 2 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp hemp seed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- mix the cacao powder in with the oats to avoid clumping.
- over medium heat, add the oat and cacao mix, mashed bananas and milk.
- bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for 2 - 5 minutes, depending on how thick you like your oats.
- add diced cherries (optional), and mix in well.
- dish up into bowls and garnish with halved cherries, hemp, nut butter and drizzle with maple syrup.
- serve warm and enjoy.