This Gluten-Free Chocolate Torta Caprese is decadence at its best!
One of my favourite eateries in Durban is Shoots and Leaves, based in Umhlanga, KZN, South Africa. Their food is always fresh with something new on the menu each day. We get daily messages with a list of 5 / 6 dishes they are preparing for the day, and each day is better than the next. Using whole local foods, their harvest table lunches are legendary and a must-try if you are in the area.
When I asked if they had any go-to recipes for chocolate, their reply was certainly! Well, this recipe has become my personal go-to to impress my dinner guests with an after-dinner slice of chocolaty heaven. It’s like a soft pillow of chocolate.
So without further ado, herewith is a traditional Italian GF Dark Chocolate Torta Caprese.
GF Dark Chocolate Torta Caprese
- 1 springform cake tin
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Bowl heat proof to melt chocolate in
- 1 Bowl for egg mix
- 1 Spoon
- 125 g Dark Chocolate 60% , broken into pieces
- 125 g Butter unsalted
- 125 g Cane Sugar
- 125 g Almond Flour
- 1 tbs Orange Zest
- 3 Eggs large, seperated
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C, then grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place over a pot of boiling water. Stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- Add butter into melted chocolate, followed by sugar.
- Fold almond flour gently into the chocolate mixture. Allow mixture to cool slightly. Add orange zest.
- Add egg yolks into the chocolate mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites and fold them into the chocolate mixture
- Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin. Bake for ±40 minutes or until the top appears cooked, and when inserted with a skewer, it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the cake tin. Remove and dust with icing sugar.